NEW DELHI: India has made it clear that any decision regarding on re-opening of the corridor would be taken in accordance with the Covid Protocol and easing of restrictions.
Official Spokesperson’s response to media queries regarding Pakistan’s proposal to reopen the Kartarpur corridor October 03, 2020 In response to media queries regarding Pakistan’s proposal to reopen the Kartarpur corridor, the Official Spokesperson Shri Anurag Srivastava said:
As you are aware, movement was suspended in the wake of Covid-19 outbreak. We remain in touch with all concerned authorities including Ministries of Home Affairs and Health & Family Welfare. A decision on re-opening of the corridor would be taken in accordance with the Covid Protocol and easing of restrictions.
The spokesperson further said that at the time of opening of the Kartarpur corridor last year and in the bilateral agreement signed in October 2019, it was decided that both sides shall establish requisite infrastructure including construction of a bridge at Budhi Ravi Channel at the earliest for safe and hassle-free movement of pilgrims.
“One year hence, Pakistan is yet to construct the bridge while it is ready at our end. A technical meeting with Pakistan was also facilitated and two teams met on 27 August 2020. There is, however, no progress on part of Pakistan,” the spokesperson concluded.